Portuguese 04/39 Mauser

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

PeterN2

Portuguese 04/39 Mauser

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:27 pm

I am still buying a rifle from time to time. I bought this rifle a couple of weeks ago. It is a conversion of a 1904 Portuguese Mauser from 6.5x58mm to 8x57mm done by the Portuguese when they adopted the 8mm Mauser cartridge in the late 1930s. They shortened the barrel and re-bored to 8mm, added front sight ears, added a stock cross bolt, altered the rear sight ramp, added a gas hole in the left of the receiver and added locking screws to the stock screws. The bore of this rifle looks not to have been used much since conversion, nice and shiny. The follower still had some grease on it and the follower spring and inside the action was very greasy. It came with a sling that I presume is original. I have shot it and it shoots OK for me. A few pics.
Portuguese Mauser 39 full right.jpg
Portuguese Mauser 39 full left.jpg
Portuguese Mauser 39 action right.jpg
Portuguese Mauser 39 action left.jpg
Portuguese Mauser 39 action top.jpg
Portuguese Mauser 39 maker marks.jpg
Portuguese Mauser 39 crest.jpg
Portuguese Mauser 39 stock stamp.jpg
Portuguese Mauser 39 sling marks.jpg
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Portuguese 04/39 Mauser

Post by Niner » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Good to see you haven't thrown in the towel on adding to the collection. Nice healthy front sight protector on that rifle that isn't usual for Mauser rifles I don't think.