"New" pistol

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

Aughnanure

"New" pistol

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:02 am

in the process of acquiring a Ruger Bearcat, 1996 vintage. so is all steel said to be in fair condition, was advertized at $28o + postage so I made an offer and the store came back with $260 including postage. which I accepted.

We shall see :!:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: "New" pistol

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:51 pm

I thought you couldn't have pistols down there, obviously I am wrong.
Is it because it is a .22 or a revolver ... or both? Do you need a special permit?
I have a .22 revolver, but not as nice as a Ruger, fun to plink with.

Here's a couple of Ruger links I found when looking up photos of your pistol.....

https://ruger.com/service/productHistor ... arcat.html

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:17 pm

The Ruger looks like a Colt single action Army from the days of the old West. I got a six inch barrel .22 version that isn't as highly regarded as the Ruger. Mine is some kind of no name version presented by FIE Miami. Think it's probably made in Spain, although I don't see any Spanish proof marks. I love the look of the thing even so. As a pistol design the peacemaker is a work of art. I've got a lot less money in mine than your Ruger and understandably so.
Attachments
DSC02819.jpg
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:09 am

niner delta, niner (!8 ?)

Thank's for the links but I already have them.

There are actually more pistols in civilian hands down here nowadays and all because of the gun laws, all the publicity got people interested and the requirement for compulsory club membership to own a firearm as well as a compulsory number of attendances at the range caused an understandable surge in membership, this led to more ranges and more clubs and under the Sport and Recreation legislation, a steady flow of Government money to upgrade the ranges.

At our pistol club, we've recently installed a state -of- the -art disabled and wheelchair toilet, Govt grant; we have a couple of disabled shooters as well as two who are in wheelchairs.

Pistols are strictly licenced and cannot be carried and there is a calibre restriction of .38 maximum. (except for black powder and cowboy action).
This is an attempt to regulate the power available, so, although I'd have liked to have a Mk6 Webley in .455 and a Colt lookalike in 44-40. I had to settle for a Colt copy in .357 Magnum. So somebody in Government is happy that I'm using such a low power pistol. :loco:

I like the look of that "no Name" model, how well is it made?

Just got a call from my mate the club armourer that the Bearcat has arrived, as club armourer he is also a legal dealer and all firearm sales have to go through dealers, who charge for the service but his fee goes into the club coffers, will go have a look and a play tomorrow morning, then I have to wait till the paperwork is finished before I can take possession.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:41 am

The FIE is made pretty well I'd say. I've fired it many times.

I also have a .357 shorter barrel version put out by Heritage Arms and made by Fllipietta in Italy. The .357 has a deeper glossier finish. I have buscadero rig for the .357 complete with the bullet loops in the back of the belt.
Attachments
DSC02820.jpg
DSC02824.jpg