2 SCW 91/30's - 36 Tula & 37 Izhevsk

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

2 SCW 91/30's - 36 Tula & 37 Izhevsk

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:08 pm

This 36 Tula looks like it just came off the front line and was boxed up and shipped to me. Its all Tula parts and except for the bolt is all matching numbers, all in all I am quite pleased with it.

This one a 1937 Izhevsk that is still covered in the cosmoline it was in when it arrived here in the late 50's. This one is from an estate sale and was found in the attic of the house. Its a typical Spanish mix master with wire sling hangers, a spanish replacement cleaning rod, and an unmolested ( read not sanded) stock. Normally I would clean the cosmoline off a new rifle but this one is different since its dried and adds a little bit extra since its presence assures me that this rifle hasn't sent a round down range since it left the shores of the Iberian Peninusla.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 2 SCW 91/30's - 36 Tula & 37 Izhevsk

Post by Niner » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 am

That reminds me of what this site, and a lot of others, used to be about. I haven't added to my collection in more than a year and I have gotten jaded to the point that I have lost much of the original excitement of adding to the herd. I have three 91/30 besides the sniper and can't tell you anything about them off the top of my head any longer. Makes me want to re-examine them again and look a little closer.

Thanks for the reminder. When the feeling of mystery is gone.....can the hobby be far behind?
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Niner wrote:That reminds me of what this site, and a lot of others, used to be about. I haven't added to my collection in more than a year and I have gotten jaded to the point that I have lost much of the original excitement of adding to the herd. I have three 91/30 besides the sniper and can't tell you anything about them off the top of my head any longer. Makes me want to re-examine them again and look a little closer.

Thanks for the reminder. When the feeling of mystery is gone.....can the hobby be far behind?

Thanks Niner, a couple/3 years ago I had a coming to jesus moment with my collection, I was buying everything that struck my fancy with no rhyme or reason to wether it fit my collection or not, finally I decided to collect one thing in particular, 1944 Tula's, after a while it grew to include 1944 Izhevsk's and I now have over 20 different 1944 Tula & Izhevsk MN's. That brought back the fun and the thrill of the hunt, and has allowed me to sell off some nice guns that where odd balls in my collection, ( including some AK's and EBR's recently ;) ) and now I am slowly adding to my collection by adding MN's that are off shoots of my 1944's, and recently started hunting down SCW MN's because they, Like Finn's are as close as non-refurbed as you can get.

Guess what I am saying is for me the fun is back! :bigsmile:
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 pm

I would like to be as focused as you MT, I tend to flit about like a butterfly as something takes my fancy.

Joe
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm

joseyclosey wrote:I would like to be as focused as you MT, I tend to flit about like a butterfly as something takes my fancy.

Joe

I perfectly understand Joe, I at times do stray slightly, but have decided I have enough EBR's and AK's in my collection and collecting Mosin's seems to suite me just fine.
Additionally considering the present anti-gun enviroment over here and the recent run on ammo and semi-automatic rifles the one thing there are still plenty of at resonable prices are Mosin Nagants and 7.62x54r. :lol:
sakorick

Post by sakorick » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:58 pm

That 36 Tula looks like a rifle that survived the battle of Leningrad......I love it! Regards, Rick.