44 Izhevsk PU sniper

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

44 Izhevsk PU sniper

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Bought this one a few years back from R-guns, and is my 2nd R-guns sniper ( the other is a 44 Tula) and I have been quite pleased with it. It has had the scope and hand gaurd replaced when it was refurbed and has the typical flacky russian shellac job, but it is all stamped matching all Izhevsk, with a great bore and it is a real tack driver.

A couple of pics of it with my 44 Tula

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 44 Izhevsk PU sniper

Post by Niner » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Interesting. R-Guns have long been beating the drum and saying they are the prime source of "Original" snipers....not the factory build imports with the late model scopes that a lot of sources have offered at lesser prices. And..."real" snipers should be worth more. No question about that.

Looking at yours it looks like the top ring serial and the bolt, and the butt plate and the magazine assembly all started out with, and retain, the same number. Then the scope is serial numbered to match a new number that is engraved on the side of the receiver. And...what is confusing to me is what appears to be yet another number lined out on the side of the breach and the scope number etched in above it. What's with that number that is lined out? Why isn't it the same as the reciever ring and bolt number? An original scope serial number, maybe?
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Niner wrote:Interesting. R-Guns have long been beating the drum and saying they are the prime source of "Original" snipers....not the factory build imports with the late model scopes that a lot of sources have offered at lesser prices. And..."real" snipers should be worth more. No question about that.

Looking at yours it looks like the top ring serial and the bolt, and the butt plate and the magazine assembly all started out with, and retain, the same number. Then the scope is serial numbered to match a new number that is engraved on the side of the receiver. And...what is confusing to me is what appears to be yet another number lined out on the side of the breach and the scope number etched in above it. What's with that number that is lined out? Why isn't it the same as the reciever ring and bolt number? An original scope serial number, maybe?

The lined out number on the side of the barrel is for the original scope s/n that was fitted to the rifle back in 1944, at some point during its use the scope was replaced ( along with the hand gaurd) possible due to battle damage, or abuse by the solider it was issued to, so they fitted a new scope to it , lined out the s/n and stamped the new on above it. I have seen some rifles that had 3-4 scope numbers stamped and lined out. The biggest reason for the scope numbers being stamped on the side of the barrel was to keep the correct mount/scope with the rifle it was zeroed to. The scopes where removed from the rifles when crated up in the arsenal so when they got re-issued they just matched the numbers up. Tula's where different, they either stamped or ep'ed the rifles s/n onto the scope base to help keep them thogether when re-issued.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Ok..thanks. Wonder what happened to the first scope? That would be an interesting story we won't ever know.