Russian Spliced Stocks

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Russian Spliced Stocks

Post by Miller Tyme » Fri May 10, 2013 6:25 pm

While everyone has heard, seen, or owned a Finnish spliced stock, very few have ever seen or owned a Russian spliced stock. These are 2 examples of Russian spliced stocks on a 37 Tula 91/30 single splice and a 32 Izhevsk 91/30 double splice stocks.

The 37 Tula is your typical forced matched 91/30 refurb with a nose repair and a early style splice stock with both front and rear screwed sling eschons.

The 32 Izhevsk is also a typical forced matched 91/30 with a nose repair too, but it is in a late war stock with a war time splice front end and a heal splice on the butt of the rifle.

The craftsmanship of the splices says a lot for the wood workers who put so much effort into saving what most countries would have scrapped.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Russian Spliced Stocks

Post by Niner » Fri May 10, 2013 7:38 pm

That's a really good post. Never thought about Russian splices. I'll have to go give my Nagants a close look.....but don't think I have any with any splices, just a few patches of wood here and there.

The buttstock splice reminds me of the Japanese Arisaka's. I think all of the Arisaka's had a spliced butt for some reason of manufacture....at least that's what I recall off the top of my head.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Sat May 11, 2013 6:56 am

Thanks Robert, I rarely ever see these but when I do they usually are mixed in with the refurbs. I didn't I paid more than $115.00 for either of them which suprised me since the craftsmanship and beauty of these stocks should have commanded some sort of premium.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat May 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Got thinking about my Arisaka spliced buttstock. Seems the Japanese would splice all their stocks in both Type 38 and Type 99 from the start.

Took some snaps of my T38.
Attachments
DSC02483.JPG
DSC02484.JPG
DSC02486.JPG