Shooting again..........

The forum for comments about auto rifles with military connections.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Shooting again..........

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Sounds like a plan. Mine was older than that. It would be old enough to buy a pistol in Alabama and then go out drinking.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:24 am

Although not quite as big, my wife has changed her car for a Renault ZOE - Electric car.
She only goes shopping locally and does about 1500 miles a year so it is great.
I will post an image when I can remember how to do it :shock: :roll:
Attachments
20191031_153252-72 - Copy.jpg
20191031_153226-72 - Copy.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:29 am

Fully battery operated. The car of the future. Only draw back to me is that you have to hunt for a public charging point and have some time to kill while it charges. From one place I read that a full charge with the free home charger takes about 8 hours. Of course that would work fine if you drive around no more than a couple hundred miles and come home and charge it up over night and you are ready to go again.

I was familiar with the hybrid cars that came out fifteen or more years ago. They were very responsive and quiet under battery power. When you needed to go on the road, as the speed increased the motor would kick in and also the motor would charge the batteries. The only down side of the hybrid was that the cost was nearly double the same car just using a gas engine and the gas savings over the life of the car would only break even with the only gas model if you kept it for something like 100,000 miles.

But this is the future I'd say. Not real soon future but future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U9tYvXL5v0
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:00 pm

That's a cute car for running around town. My question about electric cars is
the heater, it obviously has one and does that suck down the battery much faster
in the winter??
Wikipedia has a photo of your car (except wheels) on their site.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:31 am

Th ZOE takes about 10 hours to charge fully BUT because the battery does not have a memory you can plug it in and charge it at any state.
We charge it at 50% and it is programmed to start when the electricity is at it's cheapest from 10pm to 6am.
Fully charged it has a range of about 160 kms /100 miles which is about 7 weeks driving for Elaine!!
I am currently considering a Kia e-Niro or a Hyundai Kona Electric. Both have a range of about 255 miles / 400 kms on a full charge.
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:18 am

KIA has no doubt gotten better in quality over the years. They wouldn't exist if they hadn't. I remember 23 or so years ago, the car dealership I was working for acquired KIA as a subline to its Ford main line. The attraction was that they were cheap Korean cars that could be had as basic as you want....no AC, standard transmission, no radio no power steering. You could buy one for about $7000 stripped to about $9000 with auto transmission, AC, power steering and a radio. They had a couple of big problems... the batteries couldn't keep a charge over 48 hours if the car wasn't cranked and running for a while at intervals and, as I remember vividly, if on a hot day you opened the door the greasy somewhat fishy smell from inside would hit you in the face like a customer mentioned " a bag full of assholes".

The ones we sold, including their notion of SUV, often 5 speed, that they called the Sportage came with a strong interest by the company in customer feedback however, as they were always offering customers premiums to tell them about their experience. They really cared about how the vehicle was operating. This was the American model from ten years before of pushing out product before getting all the bugs out and letting the customer test drive them for after sale research into what needed fixing. American companies over time learned that wasn't a good idea and the Jap cars ate their lunch in the time it took for them to figure this out. The warranty was long, and needed to be, as just about every one of the ones sold probably spent as much time in the shop as on the road.

Another thing that didn't help it is the initials. Killed In Action.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Never had a KIA, but did have a '05 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV. I liked it and never
had any real problems with it.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Well, the Zoe that my wife has plus the political promises to scrap diesels has made me think about changing my car and so I am looking at two possibles.

1) A KIA Niro Hybrid
6.-Kia-Niro-Hybrid.jpg
or
2) A Hyundai Kona Hybrid.
New-Hyundai-Kona-Hybrid-revealed.jpg

They are both about the same price with the same level of trim and accessories. The KIA gets the best reviews and to be honest I like it's looks better but as I am going to lease the car for 5 years with the option to buy it at the end perhaps the warranty on the KIA of 7 years might just tip the scales.

Decision day is Monday when I get the final test drive and quotation. :D :D :D :D
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Back when I was in the car selling business leases were strongly promoted by the major brands for a while and it was a hard sell at best even as dealerships devoted lots of time in educating their sales staff and finance employees on all the arguments for leasing.The overwhelming number of transactions were still purchase transactions. Leasing for more than two years was considered verging on moron territory for customers for the longest time and any time someone would lease a vehicle blinded by the cost per month it enabled dealers to make full margins on each sale. Considering how expensive vehicles have gotten maybe it's reasonable now days. My wife's recent purchase was of a pretty much mid price vehicle that listed for $40,000, which also mirrored a truck purchase I made two and a half years ago at $42,000 list. A dozen years ago cars and trucks listed for close to half those figures. Granted my wife's car and my truck have a lot of features that average vehicles didn't have a dozen years ago and money has been inflated...but that's still serious money to most people...including me. The paying for the vehicle only for as long as you use it rather than all of it might make sense now days to more people.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:29 pm

I am seriously considering a lease in the next couple of years. Seems I never pay a car off,
always trade it in so I'm never without car payments anyway. Mileage is never a problem,
as I drive so few miles, less than 5000 a year and now I have 2 vehicles to split it. A lease
would mean I always have a new car under warranty and the payments don't seem to be
that different from a purchase....... Like I said, I'm thinking about it.