Cloth bedding found in Gew98 stock

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Oldbrass

Cloth bedding found in Gew98 stock

Post by Oldbrass » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:01 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm usually over at Gunboards but haven't gotten a lot of luck getting many answers about this particular question and someboady pointed me this way. Though I might try my luck at MilsurpAA!

I have a new-to-me 1915 Gew98, nearly all-matching (just the follower) rifle. It's getting a badly needed clean up (very gentle one, I assure you) after who knows how long in a closet some where. It appears to be all as it should with out a duffle cut or import mark. When I took the furniture off, I found a piece of cloth between the barrel and the fore end of the lower stock and bayo lug. I can't tell if it was glued down due to ho long it's been there. It's kind of fused on now. What's your opinion on this. Field bedding job? Something done State side? It's been there for a hell of a long time. I'd hate to destroy some history in the effort of preserving it.

Here's a pic...
Attachments
bedding1.jpg
*Bang* Did I hit it?
Niner
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums Old Brass

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:12 am

My Gew98 doesn't have such bedding. Perhaps someone, like SgtJethro will see this and have an idea about it. Glad you found us and took the time to post.

Hang in there and someone will have a more educated surmise about your question.
Oldbrass

Post by Oldbrass » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:53 am

Thanks for the welcome Niner!

I just got an email from a very helpful friend in CT with what might be a clue about the cloth. I'm assuming that these are notes taken about one of his rifles...

"Description of a 1915 Imperial Kar98a unit marked Fl.E.6.562.

This is a Kar98a, Erfurt 1915, SN 6256d.

All bolt components, the bayonet lug, the rear sight and the follower are in the white.
The follower is standard imperial issue.
There are no modifications to the rear sight but the two pivot screws are missing.
Proofing is standard Imperial on all components.

The Stock is a tiger stripped walnut wood stock with imperial proofs on the right side of the butt, the spine of the Butt stock (along with the rifles serial number (6256)), and the wrist of the stock.

The Butt Stock has serial number (6256) stamped into the barrel channel.
The Stock hand guard has serial number (6256) stamped into the barrel channel.

A piece of fabric is glued into the barrel channel from the bayonet lug back approximately 14.5 centimeters, covering the stacking hook stock insert. "

So now the question is "when" and not so much "why". I had guessed that it was to make a better bedding fit and it sounds like it might be the case. This morning I carefully lifted a corner of the fabric and it came out easily and in one piece with only minor sticking. Anyone else out there ever seen this? I'm still fairly new to collecting so I don't know how common this is.

Thanks!
*Bang* Did I hit it?