T99 Long

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

riceone
Contributing Member

T99 Long

Post by riceone » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:09 pm

That is a nice rifle you have. Did the British actually proof Japanese rifles. If the rifle were over here I would think that was an import mark. Interesting. riceone.
PeterN2

All guns are proofed

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks for the comments. Every gun in the UK has to be proofed so all my Arisaka rifles have proof marks.

Regards

Peter
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:30 pm

They would have UK proof marks if sold out of service in the UK. However if the rifle (go back in time to 1914) was delivered fresh from Japan, then it probably would be issued after inspection (possibly of sample in the batch) and may not have any marks beyond the japanese ones!

Un proofed rifles are encountered, it means that to sell them on you need to proof it however owning an unproofed rifle isnt an offence, neither is shooting one. I own a MAS 36 with a hidden proof under the muzzleand a similar hidden mark on my Ross 1910. Selling such a rifle is ok, you need to ensure that the buyer knows where the proof mark is ie under the forend etc!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com
PeterN2

I bought from dealers

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:03 pm

I got my rifles from dealers so mine had to be proofed for him to sell them to me. If I had personally imported my Arisakas from the USA, they would not have to be proofed until I wanted to sell them. The Type 99 long rifles are WW2 vintage and would not have been in UK service. Odd examples of the WW1 Type 38 rifles may have escaped into civilian ownership unproofed, but these all seem to have been sold overseas and very few remained in the UK. I have never seen one yet.

You have got me thinking about proof. I bought a 310 Cadet as an antique and as such was not proofed. I have since had it added to my FAC and shoot it. I suppose if I sell it to someone on a FAC to shoot, I will have to have to have it proofed. If I take it off my FAC and sell as an antique I won't. I will have to remember this, not that I am going to sell it any time soon. A problem for my heirs, hopefully.

Regards

Peter.