45-70 singleshots

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

mozark
Contributing Member

45-70 singleshots

Post by mozark » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:39 pm

I've decided to buy a singleshot reproduction chambered in the venerable 45-70. This will be my first 45-70, first reproduction gun and f irst BPC rifle. I want to choose well. A gun that I will shoot a lot, learn a lot from, shoot mid and later perhaps long range, and that will be a pleasure to handle.

There seem to be 3 broad choices, the 1874 Sharps, the 1885 High Wall, and a Rolling Block. A Winchester High Wall, straight grip, is where I currently lean. Uberti makes these for Cimmeron and they don't have a tang sight standard, so I could choose the one I want and not pay for the stock sight. The Sharps has a lot to say for it, and there are many more options, and more makers available. I have a Swede RB, and love it, so the RB is familiar.

Uberti, Pedersoli and Armi-Sport seem to be the most common makers, and the Pedersoli's a bit better quality, but that is only an impression. The Cimmeron Pedersoli's boast lapped and polished bores, but maybe that's true for all three.

I'm open to any and all opinions, experiences, suggestions and commentary. This is entirely new territory for me. Not inexpensive, but hopefully a gun that becomes familiar and well worth it.

Thanks,

MM
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:19 pm

Davide Pedersolis repros are the best in my book, If you ever get the chance to see some of their top end exhibiyionwork you'll know that they are highly skilled and capable gunmakers.

In the more mass product they know where to put the extra time to best effect so as to get a price right product usually at the top end of the price range but one wher you can tell the difference that the extra dosh makes.

Me, I like the rolling blocks but they are still relatively easy to get as originals so no need to get a repro.

Now a Pedersoli 1874, 34" octagonal barrel, double set triggers in 45 or 50-90...........

I'd better stop I nearly talked myself into getting one. :D
ImageImage
SgtJethro
Contributing Member

Post by SgtJethro » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:44 am

MM,

Ah, 45-70, it may just be my favorite.

I have two Springfield 1884 Trapdoors in 45-70. I like the action and the history. These were the primary US infantry rifle of the Indian Wars and were used by the volunteer regiments during the Spanish-American War. With these rifles you want to get one with the Buffington rear sight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... ayonet.jpg[/pic]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... RSight.jpg[/pic]

Buffington rear sight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... ntered.jpg[/pic]

M1879 rear sight.

I also have a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps heavy target rifle in 45-70. It has a so-so stock Creedmoor rear sight and a tunnel target front sight with interchangeable inserts. This is one accurate rifle and would be much better with a little better quality rear sight which would not lose windage adjustment when you change elevation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... _Rifle.jpg[/pic]

This is a heavy rifle, weighing 13.5 pounds. Unless you have been pumping a lot of iron lately, it is an absolute bear to shoot offhand. From a set of sticks, it is a tack driver and can easily go out to 1000 yards. I have hit a man-size target out to 500 yards with it.

My other Pedersoli Sharps is an 1874 standard buffalo or sporting rifle in 45-90. It has a flip up ladder rear sight and normal blade front sight. It is drilled and tapped for a Creedmoor rear sight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... g_4590.jpg[/pic]

This is also an extremely accurate rifle and weighing just under 10 pounds, it shoot find offhand. It just kicks like a mule. Add a good Creedmoor sight, and possibly a target front sight, and you have one helluva shooting iron. Both of my Sharps rifles have 32" barrels and adjustable double set triggers. The fit and finish of both rifles is top-notch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... Target.jpg[/pic]

My 100 yard sighting-in target

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... s_4570.jpg[/pic]

45-90 w/500 gr Postell (L) and 45-70 w/405 gr RNHB (R)

With 45-70 vs 45-90 loading the expense is in the brass. You can easily pick up 45-70 brass for around $21/100. The same amount of 45-70 brass will cost you $75. I got my rifle, brass, and die set at Cabela's. The die set was under $50.

I have a M1867/96 Danish rolling block in which I also shoot 45-70 ammo most of the time. There is only 0.003" difference (0.459 vs 0.462) in the bullet size, so I just shoot fat 45's in it. It doesn't seen to notice the difference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... _wAmmo.jpg[/pic]

I have looked at the Hi-Wall rifle, which is every bit as good as the Sharps. My personal preference is for the Sharps. With the Hi-Wall, when you close the action after loading a round, the hammer is in the cocked position. With the Sharps, you have to move the hammer to the cocked position.

The most easily available Hi-Walls are made by Uberti and IMHO are every bit as well-made as the Pedersoli rifles. I still have an itch for a Hi-Wall and hope to get one once I unload some of my other stuff.

aj
dbm
Regular visitor

Post by dbm » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:17 pm

SgtJethro wrote: also have a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps heavy target rifle in 45-70.
I'm looking for a breech loader for long range shooting. The only thing that puts me off with the Sharps is that there appears to be a lot of drop in the stock. Have you fired yours prone at 1000 yards, and if so is it comfortable?

David
David Minshall - www.researchpress.co.uk
Firearms, long range shooting and associated history
SgtJethro
Contributing Member

Post by SgtJethro » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:51 am

David,

I have not had an opportunity to shoot at anywhere near that distance with mine. I have tried it at something near 500 yards, but I shot that from a sitting position using cross sticks.

Jethro
mozark
Contributing Member

45-70

Post by mozark » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:09 am

AJ,

Thanks, great advice. 45-70 is my gut favorite for the first foray in this direction. The Pedersoli Sharps come very highly regarded, and sports many options, but you do seem to have to buy their rear sight with the rifle. I'd rather spend the money on an up graded Soule for the tang, which seems to be a good idea from your account. The Uberti High Wall comes sans sight, and at under $1000 leaves some room for a really good tang sight.

I think my current thinking would be the Hugh Wall in 45-70, and later a Sharps in 45-90 or 45-120. But, then again, a Sharps in 45-70 has a lot of merit.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a Trapdoor, and will put a picture of the Buffington in my wallet.

MM
dbm
Regular visitor

Post by dbm » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:48 am

I've looked at the Uberti Hiwall and what put me off (similar to my question above on the Sharps) was the shape of the stock. It looks better suited to offhand or sitting position.

The crescent shaped butt plate and large drop on the stock did not appear to make it suitable for a long range rifle.

The Browning Hiwall has a straighter stock and flat butt plate making for a more comfortable rifle in the prone position. These though are unfortunately no longer made so far as I know and even on the second hand market demand premium prices. My wife is lucky enough to own one in 45-70, and although she hasn't had opportunity to shoot it much yet, she is delighted with it.

David
SgtJethro
Contributing Member

Post by SgtJethro » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:58 pm

MM,

Before you rule out the Pedersoli Sharps, you might was to drive up the road to the Cabela's store in Wheeling. The sight that came with my target model sucks. That is the plain truth. However, Pedersoli does offer two higher grade models. One is around $175 and the other is right at $229. The tunnel target front sight is $42. My Sharps sporter did not have the Creedmoor sights, but it is drilled and tapped for them. I have looked at the two other Pedersoli rear sights and plan on getting at least one of them.

David,

You are right about the amount of drop on the Sharps. It isn't too good for prone shooting, especially if you are going after something at 1000 yards. I messed with it on the living room floor with the muzzle raised and I was not even close to comfortable with it. I can see from the pictures that the Hi-Wall would fall into the same boat.

aj
dbm
Regular visitor

Post by dbm » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:37 am

As an approx reference and based on Metfords tables for elevation, you're looking at something like 2 deg 15 minutes above a 100 yd sight setting for elevation at 1000 yards.

David