Finn marked N.E.W. M19

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Candyman
Contributing Member

Finn marked N.E.W. M19

Post by Candyman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:47 pm

I just picked this one up today.
It has an early stock that is as rough as a corncob. The bluing on the barreled action is nice but the rest of it is pertty worn. Looks like it was pit together from left over parts. :lol:
This makes M91 #7, well #8 if I count the Remington barreled action I have in the cornner.

It is not counter bored and the rifeling is nice.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Finn marked N.E.W. M19

Post by Niner » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:22 pm

That's a good addition to the collection. Got to looking at the late edition straight line crest. Would you say it was like No. 8 at the most important mosin site for information.......at least I think it is the most important for looking at the bits and pieces.....? Man this guy has some kind of site. He has really gotten to be quite an authority.....or at least he has me fooled if he isn't.

What looks to be the serial number is really low.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinNEW.htm
Candyman
Contributing Member

Post by Candyman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:41 am

The guy that owns 7.62x54r.net, name is Ted. He goes by the screen name of 7.62.54r on gun forums.
His site 7.62x54r is the best place to look up info on Mosins. It does get updated from time to time.
The crest on this rifle does look like the one in photo #8 on that page, but this rifle will throw a kink in that pag of infomation.
It says that the crest is for a late prodection rifle and that N.E.W. started with SN#1 and continued until the end of production. This rifle's SN# is 1911, which puts it as a very early production rifle with a late production crest. :?: :?:
Ted also has a forum, 7.62x54r.netforum ,It is a great place to get info and to ask questions for info on Mosins. It is a very strict Collector's forum. Ted is a Purist in the 1st drgee and runs his forum with an iron fist. If you post there, stay within the rules, or they will come down on you. :lol:
I think I will post this rifle over there and see what they have to say about it.
Last edited by Candyman on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Post by oldironsights » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Very nice rifle, Lee!
The stock is a modified pre-1900 (Izhevsk?) stock without the sling slots or recoil lug. Those were added at a much later date, & by the looks of it, a pocketknife & a bottle of voodka were used by the person installing these. :oops:
It looks as if Finland may have put the 1911 serial number on a late, un-numbered rifle. I have a 1918 Remington with a two digit serial number.
Perhaps not ALL U.S. made Mosins were assigned serial numbers?

Looks like Lee needs to SHOOT the bore until it is clean! :mrgreen:
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org
Tommjoad

Post by Tommjoad » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:48 pm

What distance is being measured on the rear sight (sorry if that's an ignorant question)? I know it's not meters...that sure is a nice addition to your collection! I got chills when I saw Westinghouse stamped as clear as day. One of the long term goals I have for my collection is to obtain an American-made Mosin. I don't even have one with a hex receiver, yet... :roll:

Regards,
Tomm

:TX:
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:49 pm

The sights on the original Russian M91's were in arshines, or maybe spelled arshini as plural and ashin as singular, which were paces...or 28 inches per. 200 arshines as the starting sight mark was about 155 yards. The Russians later changed over to meters. The Finns liked meters better and converted the Russian guns that they acquired, by purchase or capture, that were in arshines, or arshini...like the one pictured..... by marking meters on one side of the sight as 3, 4, 5,7, 8 1/2.