questions

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

sncstealth

questions

Post by sncstealth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:45 pm

i shot my no1 mk 3* for the first time today with surplus ammo had some hang fires and some split shoulders nothing odd except for this the top casing is unfired the bottom is fired i know its kinda hard to see but its almost like it gets skinnier right before the rim
Attachments
wierd2.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Re: questions

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Off the top of my head...and I don't represent myself as any kind of expert....I'd say that the old surplus ammo, neck splits and hang fires as evidence of old, having brittle cases and lack of recovery ability results in the stretch mark after firing. However, the stretch mark in itself would indicate too much headspace in a "normal" case. This isn't a good thing if it is still evident if you shoot new ammo even in a relatively loose but acceptable spec Enfield.
sncstealth

Post by sncstealth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:32 pm

okay thats what i was thinking im gonna get some new ammo soon and see what happens what are my choices if the headspacing is bad
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:13 pm

You could get a field gauge and see what it shows you about headspace. You could get a replacement bolt head that's a little larger if there is too much space but since it isn't a No4 and doesn't have the number for size its harder to figure out how to find one. But ... lets see if anybody else has an opinion or suggestion to offer on the question.
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:15 am

Did all the fired cases look like that? Having a bit of a ring around the base is not too uncommon.
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:47 am

Quick bit on headspace: 0.064 inch is the GO gauge and is simply clearance to make sure that a Maximum size rim will fit; not of much consequence unless one is in battle.
0.074 is the NO GO gauge and represents the allowable stretch in the case and once it is exceeded by much there is a danger of getting seperated cases.

To measure headspace take an un-primed new case (or a fired case that is an easy fit) and measure the thickness of the rim, then add paper shims between it and the bolt head until the bolt starts to close but won't close fully. The rim plus the paper will give a fair indication of the headspace. Just a firm pressure is all that is needed you don't have to use any force on the bolt handle.

Here's an illustration from 'Enfield Rifles of the World'
that is from an excellent post on headspace.
http://collectorguns35625.yuku.com/topi ... Hokum.html
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
sncstealth

Post by sncstealth » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:10 am

brass rat: yes all of the brass looked like that some more that others but the one pictured is probably the worst and thank you Aughnanure im gonna get a micrometer and figure this out im gonna try new brass first though
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:16 pm

( hang fires and some split shoulders nothing odd)
Hang fires and split shoulders are odd I dont have any of these problems in any of my Enfields.
Dont use this ammo get some decent brass and re load your own then try again.
Chuck the surplus ammo away its not worth the risk.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:59 am

I agree with Dave except for chucking the old ammo away. NEVER chuck anything with history attached to it away :( If our forbearer's had done that we would all be shooting modern crap :shock:
Just mark it up with as much info as possible and put it away for someone else to find in years to come or trade it for something you do want. As a matter of interest, what type of ammo is it?
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Paul1807

Post by Paul1807 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:03 am

When I ever I get questionable surplus 303 ammo I pull the bullets and reload them with modern componants.
Paul in Texas