Low recoil ammo.....

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Low recoil ammo.....

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Ordered some of this low recoil (training/women/children/weinie) ammo. It's hollow core 46 grain surplus.
The ad says accurate out to 200 yards, which means it may work at 100 yards,
but that's fine as I never shoot over 100 yards. It also says that if you want your wife or child to ever
shoot a 2nd bullet out of a M/N, this is the stuff to have.... :D
Seems it was available a few years ago and then dried up, but is back again.
Has anyone tried this stuff?

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Low recoil ammo.....

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:49 pm

I remember using "training" ammo some years ago. Gray steel case and gray something or other bullets. Still made a bang and a lesser kick. And... as I remember... shot 100 yard targets as good as the "real" ammo. Let us know how the current fodder shoots.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:36 am

Where do any of you buy your 7.62x54r on the internet, have found a few places but there must be more.

Vern.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:48 pm

I've bought from AIM and SOG and Century. I've still got lots of ammo so I don't know who has the best deal at the moment.

Take a look at this site. It seems to have a menu of what at least a number of online dealers are offering at the moment:

http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo?caliber=12

Pay attention to the shipping charges and the ones that charge something extra for using a credit card.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:17 am

Got a cheap 2-7x32 scope for my M38 to go with the cheap mount. It is a Hammers brand scope, looks just like the AIM scope I got for the 91/30, probably made at the same factory in China, just different printing on it.... :cool:
All went together fine, but you can see the rear verticle screw on the mount hits the bevel of the chamber, not a big deal, the middle vert. screw hits right on the flat where the sight spring sat. Put Loctite on the screws of the mount and nothing moved or loosened at all.... :D

Finally figured out how to make the red boresighter work. I put a mark on the rear face of it so I could see where it was turned while inside the chamber. When I rotated it 180 degrees in the chamber, the laser dot was in a different place. So by rotating it several times and adjusting the crosshairs to split the difference. It was rotate and adjust, rotate and adjust, and so forth, finally got it equal as I rotated it. And when I went to the range today, at 50 yards I was only 6" high and 4" to the left. It was actually "on the paper" the first shot, but would be easier if it was straight and I didn't have to rotate it. But what can I expect for $12..... :mrgreen:

Sooooooo.......Range Report.....50 yards only......(100 yards is too far to walk..... :cool: )

Took a bag of the low-recoil ammo to the range..........I love that stuff. Fired off 67 rounds and my shoulder is fine, no pain at all. Even the light ball hurt my shoulder last time, I really like this stuff, next time I'll try it in the 91/30. It does have a 'bark' to it and there is a fairly good kick, but it just doesn't hurt/jerk/snap/bang/impact my shoulder as much.
I can see that I'm going to go through this ammo a lot faster, think I better buy some more.
Didn't notice any difference in missing the target, even with the scopes, my eyes don't see shit. As you can tell by looking at 2 of the targets (the others were worse), it's a good thing I don't have to kill anything for food, I would starve to death.... :roll:

Plan on going back to the range again tomorrow and try the Russian surplus in my Nagant 1895, will compare the Hotshot to the surplus. Read a few posts on the web and most said the surplus has more kick and seems to hit targets better, we'll see.

Vern.
Attachments
11-30-12b.jpg
11-30-12.jpg
11-30-12a.jpg

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks for that report, Vern. Looks like you were shooting the middle out of the target. Makes me consider scoping some of my Milsurps. Considering how awful my right eye is for target shooting that would probably be a good step for me to take.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Personally, I think it's more fun if I hit something. Even though my shots should be closer, with a scope at only 50 yards,
I'm having a good time and hitting the target.
With iron sights, I just can't see the target and the sights at the same time... :(
It's a bitch getting old... :cool:
And there is no permanent change to my rifles, I can have them both back to factory condition in less than 30 minutes.
Just not sure why I would bother to do that.

Well, it's off to the range with my Nagant 1895...............report coming later.

Vern.

joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Nice shooting Vern, I am looking forward to the 1895 report now.

Joe