Browning double auto shotgun

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
PeterN2

Browning double auto shotgun

Post by PeterN2 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:56 pm

I have been trying to find some information about this shotgun, but not much comes up when I have searched the net. Can anyone point me to a website with info on this shotgun? I am going to have a look at one tomorrow if it hasn't been sold in the last week. It was made in the first year of production which dates it at 1955. I am told it is mechanically sound but shows signs of use, which I suppose it would after 50 years.

Regards

Peter.
stripperclip
Leading Member

Post by stripperclip » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:17 am

Browning Double Auto, designed by the late Val Browning, son of John M. Browning. This model was manufactured between 1952 and 1971 in Belgium by Fabrique Nationale. There were three variations in 12 gauge only: Standard, Twelvette and Twentyweight. The alloy frame was available in different colors including royal or light blue, satin gray, green, gold, black and brown. Depending on the condition and model, prices can range from $350 to $700 with a premium being paid for rare color frames
stripperclip
PeterN2

I bought it

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:52 pm

It was in quite nice condition for a shotgun that is almost fifty years old. They introduced a date code in 1958 and this does not have it so it was made 1955-1957, serial number C204xx. The C denotes a steel receiver. They used a code A for the aluminium receiver. It has a 26 inch 3/4 choke plain barrel. Someone fitted a recoil pad in lieu of the plastic butt plate, but other than that it seems original. A few nicks and scrapes on the stock finish, but nothing much. I am looking forward to putting a few shells through this gun.

Regards

Peter.
stripperclip
Leading Member

Post by stripperclip » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:57 pm

from what little I've read about it seems like a good find let us know how she does.
stripperclip
biganimal
Contributing Member

twelvette

Post by biganimal » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:07 pm

best darn skeet gun I ever had, mine is grey in color. makes for a great dove gun also....