Off the hip...

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Aughnanure

Off the hip...

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:58 am

Was looking at some old photos taken in Japan in the 1950s and I started reminiscing and suddenly remembered a happening at the Battle School in Hara Mura.

We were supposed to be practising shooting from the hip with the SMLE, no one was trying, it was all a bit of a joke.
Then the CO of the school suddenly appeared, he was a Lieut. Colonel from the King's Own Regiment.

The targets had just been set up again (most untouched), they were large Pie Apple tins and the Colonel moved to the end of the firing line then said to the Sergeant, "Rifle", the Sarge THREW him a rifle which he caught left-handed, then two chargers of ammo followed which were both caught in the right hand, rifle to hip, bolt opened and ten rounds loaded in record time (some of us thought that this was probably a regular happening, especially as the rifle was thrown).

Then followed ten very rapid shots and cans flew everywhere!!

The CO cleared his rifle, the Sargeant inspected it, took it back and then the Colonel looked at us, raised an eyebrow said "Now?" and marched off.

We resumed practice somewhat subdued and certainly more motivated.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Off the hip...

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:25 am

I remember once when I was giving a lecture on map reading and just over the parade ground was another sergeant doing the intro to the GPMG.

The class were handling it with some care when he snatched it from soldier and said " Give it here, it's not made of f****** glass - it is indestructible see." With that he threw it into a corner to prove his point where upon the butt snapped in two :shock:

Not sure how he explained the damage to the amourer......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:06 am

Nobody likes a show off. :loco:
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:07 am

Further to the above, the school had a demonstration platoon on staff and when I was there they were from the King's Own.
When the Colonel spoke to the rest of us it was in Refined English, as befitted a man of his rank and social standing but when he spoke to his King's Own blokes he spoke in dialect, it was allegedly English, but most of us could only understand one in five words, if that many.

His men referred to him as "T'Squire".
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.