Michael Bloomberg

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Michael Bloomberg

Post by Niner » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:41 pm

The latest Democrat in the race is a billionaire New York Wall Street goober. He thinks he can buy the Democratic nomination by blanketing the primary states with ads tailored for the different areas and spent $40 million just last week in tv ads in every state. His anti gun status is well known and he has spent plenty on just that issue months before deciding to buyin to the Presidential race. This is what his gun platform is, according to a statement recently made:
“I promise you I will never back down from this fight,” he said. “That’s the kind of president this country needs and you deserve.”

Among the highlights, Bloomberg’s plan would:

-- Reinstate the federal ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

-- Require every gun buyer to obtain a permit before making a purchase.

-- Require point-of-sale background checks on all gun purchases while closing the gun show loophole.

-- Institute a new age limit of 21 for those wishing to buy handguns, semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.

-- Require a mandatory 48-hour waiting period for all gun purchases.

-- Institute a federal “red flag” law to deny permits to “troubled people who pose a danger to themselves or others.”

-- Institute a temporary ban on gun possession for those convicted of assault or other violent misdemeanors.

-- Ban all guns in K-12 schools, colleges, and universities, except for law enforcement.

-- Reverse the law that gives gun makers and gun dealers immunity from lawsuits.

-- Create the position of White House gun coordinator “to mobilize the public to fight gun violence and launch an inter-agency hub to fight gun violence.”
https://apnews.com/d380592f27e00855d880ffe1ed01c61e
Aughnanure

Re: Michael Bloomberg

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:39 pm

And if he is elected he will swear to uphold the Constitution, so with his constant attacks on the Second Amendment, he will be a perjurer.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:37 pm

His chances of winning can't be too large. You have to remember that Republicans, all with constituencies that are against stringent gun laws, are even opposed to Trump being held accountable for what was really an egregious act that no President should be allowed to get away with. The Republican candidates for Senate and Congress in Alabama are such Trump lapdogs it isn't even funny. They are strong hands off of gun laws as well, even if there could be some good laws...like stricter control of guns among the mental cases who have in the past done or threatened violent acts. Bloomburg isn't likely to be the Democratic candidate in the end ...but if he is...and he wins.... he will have a hell of a time doing much with the status quo on gun ownership strongly held by many politicians from most of the states. I think. :roll:
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:51 am

Institute a federal “red flag” law to deny permits to “troubled people who pose a danger to themselves or others.”

Institute a temporary ban on gun possession for those convicted of assault or other violent misdemeanors.

I would agree with these two and I still don't see why 'assault weapons' and high-capacity magazines are necessary. :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:39 am

Is an M1 Garand an assault weapon? It is a military semi auto rifle although it has a restricted ammunition capacity. What is an “assault weapon”? The L1A1 SLR is a rifle that could fit the description of assault weapon and can have 30 round magazines. I have never really understood the hype over magazine capacity as it only takes a moment to swap magazines. I would like to have an L1A1 so if this rifle is an assault weapon capable of using high capacity magazines I would still like one if the law allowed it. This type of rifle may not be necessary but is no more dangerous than any other rifle in the right hands.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:26 am

DuncaninFrance wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:51 am Institute a federal “red flag” law to deny permits to “troubled people who pose a danger to themselves or others.”

Institute a temporary ban on gun possession for those convicted of assault or other violent misdemeanors.

I would agree with these two and I still don't see why 'assault weapons' and high-capacity magazines are necessary. :roll:
Seems to me the law says "troubled people" aren't allowed to purchase guns now. The problem is that lots of documented nut jobs aren't reported to the system. It's the ones that are not reported that are a worrisome problem. There are laws about convicted criminals and firearms too, and the prohibition isn't temporary either. But the system is crap a lot of the time. That's a problem that isn't really strongly addressed.

Duncan, if you don't see why assault weapons, with or without high capacity magazines, should be allowed then that L1A1 that you are dreaming about owning in the next year probably comes under that heading too, don't you think?
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:43 am

Duncan, if you don't see why assault weapons, with or without high capacity magazines, should be allowed then that L1A1 that you are dreaming about owning in the next year probably comes under that heading too, don't you think?

Actually no. The SA80, yes but the SLR is a full sized infantry weapon with a 20 round mag and no scope. In it's British Army state it is a main battle rifle. :D :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Reference nut jobs.

Recently in NSW a doctor, who was a licenced pistol holder, murdered his two children with his licenced pistols, obviously, the system failed.
He had been rejected for membership by some pistol clubs so he appealed to the Commissioner of Police and was granted a Commissioner's Permit and then joined a club and legally obtained pistols.

This is the only reference that I can find,
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/kil ... 4zq4z.html

Note the call for tougher gun laws and no mention of the Commissioner's part in it at all.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:46 pm

Duncan is going by the theory that a battle rifle fires a full power rifle cartridge, 7.62x51,
and assault rifles fire any round smaller than that, called intermediate. Some "experts" agree with him, some do not.
As time goes on those lines are becoming more blurred and will probably eventually merge.

This is Wikipedia's opinion.......

"A battle rifle is a military service rifle that is fed ammunition via a detachable magazine and fires a full-powered rifle cartridge. The term "battle rifle" was created largely out of a need to better differentiate the intermediate-power assault rifles (e.g. StG-44, AK-47, M16, AUG) from full-powered automatic rifles (e.g. FG 42, FN FAL, M14, H&K G3) as both classes of firearms have a similar appearance and share many of the same features such as detachable magazines, pistol grips, etc.
This term may also describe older military full-powered semi-automatic rifles such as the Fedorov Avtomat, M1 Garand, SVT-40, Gewehr 43, FN Model 1949, and the MAS-49. Before the 1980s and 1990s, the term was not well defined and was used as a general description for all types of military rifles."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"An assault rifle is a selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. Assault rifles were first put into mass production and accepted into widespread service during World War II. Though Western nations were slow to accept the assault rifle concept, by the end of the 20th century they had become the standard weapon in most of the world's armies, replacing full-powered rifles and sub-machine guns in most roles. Examples include the StG 44, AK-47 and the M16 rifle."

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.