Making room in the safe, 44 S.A. M1C

This is the forum to discuss your classic US military rifles from the beginning of the age of smokeless powder through WWII.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Making room in the safe, 44 S.A. M1C

Post by Miller Tyme » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 pm

Got a new addition to the gun safe today, a Springfield Arsenal M1C. The rifle was sold by CMP back in 2007, the base and mount are mismatched and the scope is a Lyman B-Series Alaskan, which where purchased as replacement scopes during the Korean War rebuild program (barrel is an SA 1-52) The flash hider is Stamped Bracket version of the Hart M2 and the cheek rest is a surplus original.
1 (2).png
17 (2).png
17 (2).png (357.43 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
19 (2).png
2 (2).png
6 (2).png
4 (2).png
10 (2).png
12 (2).png
18 (2).png
18 (2).png (364.92 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
13 (2).png
pix301101288.jpg
pix773257298.jpg
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Making room in the safe, 44 S.A. M1C

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:20 pm

Another outstanding addition to your collection. Guess you are telling your wife the collection will appreciate like crazy and when you retire you can sell off one if you want to take a round the world cruise. My collections best stuff might get me a rental condo with two bedrooms and two baths and with a Gulf front view not too many stories up down at the Gulf for a week.....as long as it isn't 4th of July week.

The letter with the Member of the Garand Collector Association in the header brings back memories of the couple of purchases I made from the CMP. The idea was to get around belonging to a Civilian Marksmanship club and not have to participate in contests. The GCA was an official club and if you paid your ...whatever it was....fee you could skip the CMP shooting club. Good thing.... don't think there was one in my area. They did send you a magazine a few times a year while they had the scam going strong.
Attachments
img773.jpg
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:09 am

You are particularly correct Robert, she does view them as investments that do make money (not big money) over time. But this purchase will be a nice investment as i picked it up for a little more than what CMP was selling the rifle and base for ($3500 and it sold last week) That doesn't count what the, scope mount, scope, flash suppressor & check pad cost when you locate them. (around 3k)
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:47 pm

I didn't mean to down play the investment side of it....a more sure thing than any stock I know about that's traded on Wall Street. A delight to own and and an investment that will only appreciate.
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:56 pm

Niner wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:47 pm I didn't mean to down play the investment side of it....a more sure thing than any stock I know about that's traded on Wall Street. A delight to own and and an investment that will only appreciate.

Didn't take it that way Robert, don't think I have lost money on a firearm yet, but very few have made serious money.

Of course compared to the stock market this year even breaking even on one is a win/win. :lol:
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:24 pm

When you start out at over six grand in one rifle it's going to probably take a while to double your money. However, back in the boat load days of cheap milsurps they have multiplied several times original cost since...and if somewhat special in demand.... have really proven to be great investments. Unless the government figures out a way to screw things up I can't see values of any milsurp going anywhere but up. It's just matter of how much.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:10 am

As far as my wife is concerned an 'investment' is only an investment when it is sold and the profit put into our joint bank account :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:52 am

As far as my wife is concerned an 'investment' is only an investment when it is sold and the profit put into our joint bank account
There are different kinds of investment. Stock prices go up and down every few minutes of every day the market is open. If you own any stock you don't really gain or lose anything until you sell. Unless.....the stock goes belly up and the company declares bankruptcy. The companies often keep going but the stockholder is screwed........GM, Kodak, American Airlines, Colt , Remington, etc. However, actual owned guns are tangible assets that can't be desolved and taken away from you in a legally evil way and do go on having some actual value. They can only be removed from marketability by an unconstitutional government action. If the government wants to take them their value goes up enormously however....on a different less open market admittedly.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:54 pm

Nice one MT, I love the look of it but oh dear that flash hider....
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:33 pm

joseyclosey wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:54 pm Nice one MT, I love the look of it but oh dear that flash hider....

Thanks Josey, the M2 flash hider was very effective I am told but some snipers worried, because of its loose fit, that it was messing with the barrels harmonics. The Army in 1955 started issuing the T37 flash hider on rebuilt M1D's if the M2 was real loose or missing. Both the M2 and the T37 had the same part number though, possibly because of there interchangeability
DSC02363.jpg