Developing color film

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Developing color film

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 pm

I haven't done that before. But...having some birthday money I thought I'd try it. First was the kit of chemicals....$40. Then some more plastic bottles and lastly came the problem. The problem is controlling a temperature that is prefered at about 102 degrees American. To control the temperature best requires a pot of water to put the chemical bottles in and something to keep the temperature constant. There is a photo company that has such a thing for $100 but I wasn't feeling that frisky enough to part with that much and ordered an immersion circulator that is used for cooking. I didn't know such a thing existed. Can't imagine cooking with closely moderated water temperature. However, it fits the bill and the one I ordered was $49.

If you only want to take snapshots a digital camera is hands down quicker, easier, and the images cost about nothing and you don't have to buy any chemicals or water heater. However..... if you want to relive photo history now past that you didn't experience before.....this new adventure is important.

Might take a week before the water heater arrives. I got the chemicals and even took some photos today on color film.
Attachments
kit.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Developing color film

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:06 am

Way back, when I had my darkroom and was processing B&W I was shown how to develop and print colour.
My friend who showed me took an exposed film and ran the whole process up to printing a landscape image. At the end of the process the image was heavily magenta cast.
It was then I decided to stick with B&W and I thanked him for saving me a lot of money!!

GOOD LUCK!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:43 pm

Many years ago I had a rush of blood to the head and had a go at making b&w prints. I bought a Zenit enlarger and the chemicals, trays, timer, safety light and thermometer. I didn't have anywhere to set up except in the bathroom where I lived at the time. I only used it a couple of times but I got some prints. I didn't develop the film but just made some prints from negatives I had. The enlarger is still in the loft. The timer is used in the kitchen and I don't know what I did with the rest of the stuff.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:51 pm

Peter, I've still got my enlarger out in the garage. Hate to think what condition it is in. Bet the light bulb is no longer working for sure. Now days I have been developing B&W and scanning the negatives into positives with an Epson Perfection V600 photo scanner.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:52 pm

Well...the hurricane put a crimp in my developing. Did some today to try the kit out.

The first thing was controlling the temperature of the developer. Preferred is 102 degrees fahrenheit. There is a professional water temperature control but for half the price I was using an immersion heater used for cooking.

First thing was to mix the chemicals. The C41 kit came with exact measured chemical for quart liquid amounts. Mix the A chemicals in one bottle. Mix the B chemicals in another. Put the stabilizer in another. Three and a half minutes in the developer at 102 degrees. Eight minutes in the Blix. A minute in the stabilizer.

First trial taking photos with some out of date film. Have no idea how out of date as it came with some old camera I bought. Must have been pretty old since the edges of the film showed that old age curve. Must have had the temperature off some. I didn't use the thermometer just the water bath and the immersion heater. Images less than thrilling to say the least. Lots of grain and off colors.

Shot a second roll of new Fuji film. It came out lots better. Not perfect but I had some problems with the camera. I had it set to 2 steps underexposure for the first half dozen shots before I realized it. However, for a new skill learning exercise I'm happy with the second roll.
Attachments
The out of date film
The out of date film
P1000550.jpg
P1000564.jpg
DSC02437.jpg
DSC02438.jpg
Runner goes around downed tree over the sidewalk
Runner goes around downed tree over the sidewalk
img953.jpg
img934.jpg
img945.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:53 am

Not bad Robert. That was the easy bit! If you had to produce the prints in a Dark Room then you would start tearing your hair out I suspect!! :lol: :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:10 pm

I'm not going to do any printing. Considering the equipment cost and a need for an actual dark room that is totally out of the question. If I want a print I'll touch up a scan of a negative with a little photoshop and get one of the online photo printers to make the print. There are lots of those places from Amazon to Snapfish. You just upload the photos to their site.

I used Clark and York for lots of years but they sold out to Snapfish recently.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Took the Minolta Maxxum 70 off the shelf today. Great cheap camera. Does everything the mind of Minolta ever came up with in a relatively inexpensive camera at the end of the Minolta line. It doesn't get much collector respect because it was offered at a tyro price and had a plastic case. However, can you name a "professional" camera with 15 customizable features? I posted about it in another string if you want to learn more.

In any case Fujicolor 200 was the film. Images came out crisper than the first time I tried developing the same film.
Attachments
DSC02480.jpg
img981.jpg
img978.jpg
img971.jpg
img963.jpg
list.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Nice clear shots, and you developed the film yourself? Nice going.
Do you do weddings and bar mitzvahs? ........... :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:29 pm

I did do a wedding once years ago for a friend of my wife who couldn't afford a "real" photographer.