Minolta XG-M

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Minolta XG-M

Post by Niner » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:37 pm

The Minolta XG-M was introduced as the last and best of the XG line in 1981. The "M" stands for motor drive, which could be added. The best feature of the camera was that the 2 CDS cell in the light meter would work in both Aperture Priority or manual mode. There was a two stop plus or minus to the exposure control and the camera had various upgrade user controls...like the on off switch control and the up down switch for the self portrait option. I got this one free from my son's father-in-law along with a couple of lenses a few days ago in a trip to Kentucky. I've taken no more than a snap or two so no report on the images taken from it.
Attachments
P1000808.jpg
P1000807.jpg
img485.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Minolta XG-M

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:06 pm

Tried it out today. I used Arista. Ed B&W film. First time I ever used this film. Says on the canister "The Educators Choice". Works ok. Camera works fine too.
Attachments
img522.jpg
img507.jpg
img502.jpg
img501.jpg
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:43 pm

I got a Minolta XG-M. I ran a film through it but now the winder is stuck and the shutter does not work. Probably a minor fault but will probably cost more than the camera to fix. The photos came out OK.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:17 pm

Did you try some new batteries? The shutter is electronic you know. Won't work without batteries. Best thing about the camera is that the LR44 batteries are pretty cheap.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:18 am

Peter, another thought on the lockup. I got a Minolta SRT201 that was locked up...and it doesn't have an electronic shutter. The problem was a stuck self timer gear.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 am

I think it is the winding gear that is stuck. The shutter won't work if the winder is not in the right position. I will get the local camera shop to look at it as it could be just a cog that has jumped out of place.
Regards
Peter.