The Canon EX Auto

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

The Canon EX Auto

Post by Niner » Sun May 23, 2021 3:33 pm

The Canon EX Auto from 1972. I got this a few days ago for relatively cheap. My kind of price for pigs in a poke. This is an odd duck that Canon made only two models of. The other was the EE. Oddest thing was that these cameras had half a lens permanently attached to the camera and you had a choice of three lens second half completions. The standard lens is a 1.8 50mm when assembled. Another odd thing is that this otherwise shutter priority camera has an aperture ring around the rewind knob. And one last oddity is that there is a link that can be locked in on the lens so the D flash can sink with the camera focus distance. One of it's up town features was a new designed film load never fail .... mostly....mechanical device. The one I got looks pristine and seems to work with a new 625A.

Took it for a trip to the Japanese Gardens. Lots of big goldfish and ponds with big lily pads. Some flowers were blooming. And... some good some bad to report. The cloth curtain didn't function correctly at 1/500 of a second and I got a handful of mostly black negatives. At slower speeds there seems to be no problem and the camera adjusted apertures seemed good. The manual worked ok too. Just nothing worked right at 1/500. Maybe it was just stiff from not being operated in probably forty years.
Attachments
DSC03076.JPG
DSC03077.JPG
DSC03078.JPG
DSC03080.JPG
DSC03079.JPG
img418.jpg
img415.jpg
img414.jpg
img432.jpg
img441.jpg
rossjulie

Re: The Canon EX Auto

Post by rossjulie » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:23 am

Cool photos.Does it have advanced settings eg the ISO adjustments?
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:20 am

Welcome to the forums rossjulie. Good to see someone interested in cameras join.

This is a pretty simple SLR aimed at the family photographer. Set the shutter speed and the EX AUTO sets the aperture. However, you could change the ISO up or down for under or over exposure I'd imagine. No plus or minus corrections in half steps in the controls. However, with film that now days you develop and scan the negatives, the over and under exposure doesn't mean much. What can't be corrected in the scanning can be corrected...or adjusted to your liking with various photo manipulation software. If you have Windows you can get a free download of IrfanView for manipulation of images.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:12 am

Looks like Fuji Film, bit of as green cast.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:10 am

I think it was Fuji. However I developed the roll myself so it's amazing that I have anything at all to show.