The Buscadero rig

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

The Buscadero rig

Post by Niner » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:10 pm

It was developed for the movie Westerns in the 1920's according to Google. There was a possible connection to Mexican cowboys about the turn of the century and to Texas Rangers about the same time as the movies were creating it, but that information is a bit sketchy. It was also considered, because of the low hang of the holster, to be less fast on the draw than a pistol holster at waist high. If you watch any John Wayne movie he didn't use the Buscadero rig but a waist high holster and a short barrel Colt Army revolver. However, I got one years ago when I got a .357 knock off of a Colt Army.

Holsters were often butt forward and across body, like old military rigs in the real old west gunslinger use. Wild Bill Hickok was famous for the two Navy colts with the butt forward at waist high. Hickok's Navy pistols were the BP kind and not the Colt Army cartridge guns. In any case.... I thought I'd take a few snapshots.
Attachments
DSC08714.JPG
DSC08707.JPG
DSC08708.JPG
DSC08709.JPG
DSC08710.JPG
DSC08711.JPG
DSC08712.JPG
DSC08713.JPG
Niner
Site Admin

Re: The Buscadero rig

Post by Niner » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:32 pm

Saw this Clint Eastwood page on Facebook. Clint, in various Westerns, used different holster rigs. He also used both BP guns of the Civil War era and cartridge weapons. The spaghetti western weapons with the poncho had a relatively close to the belt holster but the belt was slung down on the hip. One I found was a belt even holster with Colt percussion pistols. Then I found this one from Two Mules For Sister Sara with the no kidding Buscadero.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:09 am

Saturday last I attended an introduction to Cowboy Action, there were some very fancy rigs, probably would have cost an old time cowboy a years wages,
Had Wyatt Earp been there he’d have been covered in dust, from rolling on the ground laughing.
I didn’t stay long and didn’t have a shot, as I use a single action Colt [Uberti] in rapid fire events. So I decided to hide my light as the saying goes😃😃.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:42 pm

I don't have a real cowboy holster setup like that. My Remington New Army 1858 replica came with Civil War
looking Union Army holster and belt. My son's father in law made me a shoulder holster for it, he did the stitching and
leather tooling to make it just for me and it fits my Remington well. Although I would never wear a shoulder holster, it
even came in a vintage wood small crate. Very cool items.

DSC01417 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0681.jpg
IMG_0682.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:12 pm

That's what I guess the shoulder holster would be called folk art....the handmade holster with the necked woman on it. Great gift I'm sure you appreciate.

I got one of those Civil war holsters. For those who don't know that might read this, the civil war holster was worn on the left side for right handed people with the butt facing forward. The officers sword would be on the right with the grip so that it could be drawn with the left hand.

I got a belt too, with a belt buckle forged from a real 21st Alabama belt buckle. I think I posted about it here some months ago.