Silencers, suppressors, moderators.

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

PeterN2

Silencers, suppressors, moderators.

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:44 am

Call them what you will, since 1937 in UK law, they have been given the same status as a firearm. To possess one, it had to be applied for and entered on your Firearm Certificate as if it was a firearm. This did not apply to air rifles. If you had a moderator for, say, a .22 air rifle, then no certification applied. However, if you wanted to screw that same moderator to a .22 rim fire rifle, then the certification process applied. A stupid state of affairs.
A process has now started to remove moderators from the certification process to make them a non controlled item. It will take a few months or even in to next year, but it should happen.
A small win for the shooting community and it will save the Police from processing applications to possess a small hollow tube that is not a threat to anyone. Why they were ever made a certificated item is a mystery. Perhaps the powers that be watched too many gangster movies where the gangster fired his pistol and it went 'phut' and they thought it a threat.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Silencers, suppressors, moderators.

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:59 pm

Apparently 42 US states allow their citizens to have silencers without a permit. However states can regulate the use according to their own notions:
Eight states outlaw suppressor purchase and use — California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. Citizens also can’t legally own suppressors in the District of Columbia.
I've seen other statements that the BATF could prosecute owners of silencing devices......but apparently they are the same people who are legally prohibited from owning firearms in the first place, regardless of what state they reside.

A quick look online for sales for a silencer for a .22 and I see prices higher than the value of any .22 I own.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:08 am

Banned Australia wide and for hunting I agree, every shot fired in the field scares game and that’s the way it should be, gives the animals more of a sporting chance.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:14 pm

Maybe Eoin but I have one on my TOZ .22lr which I use on rabbits but it also keeps the neighbours in ignorance of my bunnybashing! :roll: :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:34 am

That’s harvesting, Duncan.
Never did believe in\ giving bunnies any warning, used to shoot them in squats with a .22 pistol.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:03 am

Aughnanure wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:34 am That’s harvesting, Duncan.
Never did believe in\ giving bunnies any warning, used to shoot them in squats with a .22 pistol.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.