USS Texas

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

USS Texas

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:37 am

From the July copy of Ships Monthly which I subscribe to...........
Scan2023-07-03_132830.jpg
Scan2023-07-03_132830.jpg (958.46 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Also featured are the USS George Washington just gone back into service after a refit that extends her life by another 25 years and a new cl;ass of Expeditionary Medical Ships being built by Austal USA in Mobile.........
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: USS Texas

Post by Niner » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:35 am

Battleship Park in Mobile is the home for the battleship Alabama and submarine Drum. It's a great tourist attraction. Hard to believe Texas Gulf Coast cities don't see the attractiveness of spending some money to become a memorial home port. Cities and States dump millions to bring industry to areas. They are short sighted not to bring something that locals would enjoy seeing a bragging about having in their own home town. But.... nobody elects politicians expecting any of them have a little common sense.

The Battleship Alabama recently has been replacing teak deck that covers the steal ship deck surface. The old deck is being sold off as relics for what seems to be big money. Somewhat understandable as the Battleship Park is self supporting. The State and City don't contribute to it's upkeep.

https://www.ussalabama.com/teak-deck-project/
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: USS Texas

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:05 am

:bigsmile: I hope they sell them all. I thought about a pen but at those prices :loco:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.