Arisaka 99 barrel

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

pdoodley6

Arisaka 99 barrel

Post by pdoodley6 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:41 pm

I sporterized an Arisaka 99 some time ago. I recently removed the rear site base as it just made it look bulky. There are two small holes that do not go all the way through the barrel that I want plugged. These holes are not threaded and were what retained the sight base and prevented it from moving. Any suggestions?
A99 holes.jpg
A99 holes.jpg (470.85 KiB) Viewed 241 times
(I tried attaching a picture but I'm not really quite sure how to do that)
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Arisaka 99 barrel

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:54 pm

Carefully spot welded and filed smooth?

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:54 pm

Good to see your first post pdoodley6. If you removed the sight I'd image your 99 was one of the earlier ones and not the last ditch end of run model. The earliest sights for this model had the airplane target wings....which I feel you must already know. I don't own a model 99. You might consider finding a way to tap the holes and use replacement screws to fill them in and then file off the parts above the surface of the barrel. Perhaps a gunsmith could do something like this for you in a simpler way.

What are you going to use for sights? Do you have some kind of replacement stock with an attachment for a scope?
The only Arisaka I own is a type 38 that was made in a Chinese plant. Bought it from Springfield Sporters back in the good old days of milsurps when all of them were considered surplus scrap. Twenty-three years ago delivered to my door with a C&R license for $80.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:09 pm

Here's an idea as shown on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YaSf9GhEkM
pdoodley6

Post by pdoodley6 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:12 pm

I bought this (and a few others) at a gun show back in 1994 when they were going for $75 - $99 (if they were nice ones). This particular one I sporterized, because "hey why not? There's plenty of them around"; which is not quite true now. I had bent down handle put on the bolt and had weaver sight bases drilled and tapped to the top of the receiver. So I don't really need the rear sight and it looked kinda clunky on there so I removed it. I don't really need the front sight either but it doesn't look too bad and besides, it is just a bear to remove. A little above me as I don't have a hydraulic press. All the articles and answers I've read about removing them by tapping them out are just wishful thinking.
pdoodley6

Post by pdoodley6 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:14 pm

I did see that article on youtube and that is exactly what I am doing to it. Right now, I'm "practicing" with some steel pipe and 6-32 screws. Trying to get the peening part down right.