Pure vodka

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

mosu
Contributing Member

Pure vodka

Post by mosu » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:25 pm

Vodga is on of the world’s most popular distilled bevarages with history, culture and reputation. Do you trink vodka? In its Easter European and Skandinavian homeland it is generally drunk neat. Do you like vodka? Or Bloody Mary, Screwdriver, Vodka Tonic or Vodka Martini? But realli it is interesting to take a look to its backround and history. e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:25 pm

You are right mosu, vodka is a wonderful thing, although I prefer bourbon.

Bloody Mary and Screwdriver are the best because drinking several a day supplies your daily requirement of fruits and vegetables, being healthy is a great feeling.

Vodka Tonic is good, but a Gin&Tonic is even better, must be the British blood that runs in my heritage. (Scottish too, not a total FEB ;) )

A popular and fairly expensive vodka here in the states is Finlandia, so your vodka is known here too, mosu. :mrgreen:

Vern.
Attachments
FinlandiaVodka.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
mosu
Contributing Member

Vodka

Post by mosu » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:01 pm

Thanks Vern and greetings from a Vodka Belt country. It is here said the Vodka Finland beginns from behind the betlway 3 (or ’Susiraja’ ’Wolf Boundary’; meaning the most distant beltway adround Helsinki :-) The most popular vodka here is ’Koskenkorva viina’ (Koskenkorva Spirits) but it may not be called vodka as some sugar is added to it to give a little softer taste (many drink vodka neat here). Finlandia vodka is sold here under the trade mark 'Dry Vodka'. Yes, Gin-Tonic is one of my favorites since my youth. Jim Beam and Four Roses too.
TaosBob101
Contributing Member

Post by TaosBob101 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:20 pm

I have been known to put a bottle Finlandia/or something from the Ukraine in the freezer for " cold" shots. Still have a bottle from Christmas before last. ;)

I can ration anything...Vodka,ammo, etc. :D
Festus

Post by Festus » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:29 am

Try this for a good vodka drink. It's called the Lemon Drop Shot and is along the lines of a tequila shooter: 1/2 tsp. sugar dissolved in the mouth, 1 1/2 oz.shot of any vodka tossed back, follow with a wedge of fresh lemon (bite). I was introduced to this at a wedding several years ago and it has become a household staple.
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:22 am

My favorite is a vodka Sinner. Vodka and grapefruit juice. Smooth and sweet and sour at the same time.
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:56 am

I must admit that, if I'm going to drink vodka (vary rare, I prefer Irish Wishey, Single Malt Scotch or Dark Rum), I tend to mix it (screams of horror from thje vodka lovers :razz: ).

If anything I go for a traditional Vodka St Clements

1 Part lemon juice*

1 or 2 Parts Orange juice (depending on the sweetness of the juice)

1 - 2 Parts vodka (depending how much orange juice you've had to add)

ice as required (either as cubes - if you must, or, preferrably, crushed in an ice bucket)

warm day

suitable seating in shade

Instructions

Sit in/on seat,

withdraw drink from ice bucket

enjoy drink and day

Wassail, Drink hale!

Tom

* NOT Bitter Lemon or Lemonade - it has to be real lemon juice or nothing, I don't give a rat's f*rt what the pubs say!
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

I HAVE A 48HOUR VOIDE!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:02 pm

Only ever drank Vodka once - when the Brandy Sour ran out. I went on to Vodka & Orange and don't remember a thing for 48 hours. I was only 17 at the time so perhaps that's OK!!

If the Gin runs out now I drink Horses Neck Bacardy & Canada Dry on LOTS of Ice - very smooth.

I once tried to drink Canada Dry :roll: Failed!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
mosu
Contributing Member

Rum

Post by mosu » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:57 am

Tom, do you remember when the Royal Navy gave up the daily rum rations (portions) on bord. Was it in the 50s?

regards

mosu
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:45 pm

The rum ration was abolished in the RN on 31st July 1970.

Regards

Peter.