1939 660 Code K98 Kriegsmarine

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Tikirocker

1939 660 Code K98 Kriegsmarine

Post by Tikirocker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:51 am

G'day gents,

Just thought I'd share a K98 I acquired recently. I bought this rifle from a mountain town interstate where my Grandfather once lived ... this mountain village is also known for having a large German population. It came to my attention that there was a K98 selling for a very decent price out of an old gents collections where it had sat for many years - said fellow was German actually.

So the photographs of the rifle I requested showed this rifle to be in fairly tired shape regarding the furniture - there weren't many dings but the laminated stock was very dry and there was a large crack in the stock that would need repair. The rifle is all matching but for the bolt and has all relevant waffenampts intact - so I bought it.

It wasn't until I got the rifle home a few weeks later that during clean up I noticed something underneath the surface rust on the stock disk - there were some numbers, a stylized N and below that a K. I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion this was indeed a Nord Sea Fleet K98 marked Kriegsmarine rifle made by Steyr/660 early in the war as they were contracted to do. The buttstock still had the H ( Heer ) stamp but this is correct also since these early 660 codes were sequestered by the Kriegsmarine from Army stock - another nice feature is the serial number is in the early 900's and was among the first 1000 rifles ever made by Steyr/660. There were only 10,000 rifles produced by Stery in 1939 all up.

Anyway, enough of my jabbering. I repaired the butt stock crack and the rifle looks beautiful now and you would never know it had any damage at all. I'm very proud of this one and it's the only K98 I own. These pics show the rifle just before repair and gentle restoration of the furniture.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/ ... 986601.jpg[/pic]

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/ ... 986602.jpg[/pic]

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/ ... 986603.jpg[/pic]

This shows the crack and the take down disk before repair with N and K proofs. The numbers on the disk would be the Naval assigned rack numbers. When I think of how formidable the German Navy were during WW2 it's quite something to consider where this rifle may have seen service. The stock is also serialed to the receiver so is correct.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/ ... Crack8.jpg[/pic]

Thanks for looking. :cool:
yup, yup, yup...
Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh...
Niner
Site Admin

That's a good find

Post by Niner » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:58 pm

None of mine have the original butt disk....and on top of that have an imprint of an import mark.

Have any idea where the man got the rifle?
Tikirocker

Post by Tikirocker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:34 pm

G'day mate,

Not many people know that Germany had a love of Australia as a holiday destination before the second world war and many Germans came to Sydney to travel and swim. There are places in Sydney not many people know about but locals where you can find in our national parks near swimming holes the carvings of Swastika's ( pre war ) in rocks and dates by these holidaying tourists.

It is my belief that this was some kind of bring back by the German mans family when they immigrated to Australia possibly after the war - it is certainly not a Russian capture. I believe the old man fits the age group of an ex military type of the period having been in his 80's ... the rifle bore is also in beautiful condition with only very light frosting which I believe will shoot out.

I was VERY happy with this find to say the least. It is rare to find a Naval marked K98 so this one will be from my cold dead hands.
yup, yup, yup...
Niner
Site Admin

I see

Post by Niner » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:47 pm

I was just wondering if it had any provenience. If the old man brought it to Australia from Germany after the war and if he had something in writing showing its history and connection to him which he could give to you.....makes it more valuable as a part of your collection.

I have a Walther PP pistol bring back from WWII that was given to my father by someone he knew well. I don't have any papers that show the connection though.
Tikirocker

Post by Tikirocker » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:44 am

I wish mate ... sadly I'll be sucking my thumb for providence on the story as it came through the gun shop and I had no direct contact other than with the gun shop who was handling the sale for the old boy. it was through my asking about WHO it came from that I found out a bit more but it was one of those situations where the old guy is now too old to shoot or even care for his guns and it's a bit of pocket money in his twilight years.

I'm not so bothered though since I've a pretty good idea what happened with him being German and I don't plan on selling so I guess the story will just have to keep me warm at night. :lol:
yup, yup, yup...
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:10 am

Interesting - need some pics of the finished item now! No peace on this board Tiki :mrgreen:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:15 pm

So its German then ;)
ImageImage