Bolt

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Bolt

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:56 pm

For some reason, I have always wanted a bent down bolt for my 91/30, so I got one.
Bought the handle piece of the bolt on ebay for $29.10 and sent it to another poster on
ebay to get it welded, not pinned and epoxied. Another $30.
I wanted to keep the original matching serial numbered piece as original.
Got it back today and he did a great job welding, grinding, and polishing it.
Firing pin height is fine, and checks out with a field gauge in both my 91/30 and M38.

Next will be a scout scope mount, but I'm going to remove the whole rear sight and use
tall scope rings to mount to the dovetails under the rear sight, and use a pistol scope.....maybe.

Vern.
Attachments
DSC00386.JPG
DSC00390.JPG
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Bolt

Post by Niner » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Well..... I'm surprised to read this Vern, considering the cost to benefit wild hair nature of what you have done. You remind me of myself.....I've done a lot of wild hair things and expect to do a few more before I check out of this life. The only 91/30 I have with a scope is one of those "sniper" versions with the certified official.... even if it's a lie..... sight and mount. Back a few years ago a guy name Darrell had the corner on the better than average Nagant scope mounts. He invented it. He made a base that would mount where the sight was on a stock rifle by removing the sight pin. The sight base was solid as a rock when in place.... he showed me one put on one of his rifles. He only lived sixty miles from me. But....he seems to have gotten too busy to make them any longer.

Keep us posted on how this adventure progresses. I'm really interested.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:12 pm

I have Darrel mount on my Nagant with a pistol scope it shoots fine and the sight picture is really good.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:47 am

Went to a gun show today and did quite a bit of looking for a scout scope and rings.
Found several scopes the have the right eye relief, so probably won't go with a pistol scope.
Scope rings will be harder to find than a scope, would like to find a one piece that will have 2
rings mounted. But it can only be 3" long, may be a trick to find that.
Will keep looking.........

Vern.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:58 am

There are plenty of mounts out there that attach to the rear iron sight base. Most seem to be attached only at one place. You can get them for what seems like any price you are willing to pay from a Walmart $9.95 version on up. Most reviews I'm reading are mixed, with the worst saying the base isn't steady enough , perhaps because of a one bolt attachment, and doesn't maintain zero. However, I did see this one....you would have to use a scope that is well away from the eye....but it looks like it would be substantial and hold a zero.

And this one is made to fit the 91/30. It attaches through two pins instead of one.

http://www.mountsplus.com/mm5/merchant. ... ccessories

Here is another that looks really good and requires no drilling holes in your receiver. And...you can use a standard scope. The only down side is the mount costs as much as any of my 91/30's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CHBuiBkQlo

The site where they are sold.

http://www.jmeckscopemounts.com/
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:04 pm

That mount looks like a pain to load ammo, no stripper clips for sure.
I plan on removing the whole rear sight and use the dove tail mount under it,
using this mount and you can turn it around for a longer or shorter scope.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271072097429?ss ... 1423.l2649

Vern.

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:19 pm

That looks like it would work. If you get one let us know well it does the job.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:02 am

Got the rear sight removed today, those pins DID NOT want to come out, but I finally won.
Looks kind of naked without the sight on there. (see pic) Will probably order the mount this week,
and then do some measuring with it on the rifle to get the eye relief distance.
Then I'm going to order 300 rounds of 7.62 light ball ammo, and some Russian 7.62 military ammo
for my 1895 Nagant pistol.
Now that the weather's finally cooled down enough to go to the range, I'll do just that!!

Vern.
Attachments
Mount.jpg

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:41 am

Well, I ordered the mount, scope and ammo today, that should keep me busy next week....... :mrgreen:

Vern.

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 am

The scope showed up Sat. and the mount and ammo got here today.
Everything fits great, the mount is very tight and the eye relief is fine.
Tried it with the mount the other way and the scope was too far back, couldn't use stripper clips.
The ammo is the light ball, 148 grain, and it is all on stripper clips, so besides 300 rounds of
ammo I get 60 factory stripper clips. Thought it would be in a nice green spam can but it came
in a soldered silver can, dated 1960, but luckily it was easy to open.
Now I have to get to the range and sight in the scope.

Vern.
Attachments
Scope3.jpg
Scope2.jpg
Strippers.jpg