How are your investments going?

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Niner
Site Admin

How are your investments going?

Post by Niner » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:01 pm

Back about a decade ago the Mosin Nagant market was all about the same in that take your pick of configuration for cheap. Then the full length M91's and the M44's went away and their prices went up for whatever you could find that were being offered . Now days the M91's are gone completely as far as import and the recent M44's are going for $200 as refurbs from the hand full of merchants that got the last recent shipment. The only under a C note "bargains" are what are left of the cheap 91/30's.

I was looking at a post from somebody who is new to collecting telling of his excitement in getting an AIM mixmaster refurb M44 for $2oo plus shipping at another site. All of which is fine enough, considering how things are now, I guess. But... I got to looking at my 1946 M44 with all matching numbers I got for $65 back in 2000, including shipping and some extras thrown in to justify the price...and thinking at the time I was paying top dollar and probably paying too much! Now I wish my stocks and 401 K had done half as well.

I wish I had invested more in guns once upon a time. Of course we could end up like our friends in Europe and elsewhere and the government will take all of them away eventually anyway, or limiting us to a handful carefully controlled and monitored by bureaucrats. Maybe I should just be glad I was around before the tide change in values. Now days, I'm more worried about the possible tide changes in politics, Republican or Democratic making little difference.

I never bought a gun for an investment of the monetary kind. All I bought I bought out of a curiosity of how they felt when I raised them to my shoulder and looked down the sights and how it sounded when fired and how I felt about how it shot. And .... a strong sense of the history that I could hold in my hand. If my next of kin can sell them off for at least as much as I paid for them, that would be good, though.
Attachments
IMGP0856.jpg
IMGP0858.jpg
Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Re: How are your investments going?

Post by Dutch Mosin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I started collecting in 2005.
Prices of Mosin Nagants have been stable since.
There's always someone who tries to sell a rifle for a ridiculous price and there will always be those who are willing to pay that price.

I have to add that prices have doubled since 2001 but we didn't really notice that.
I this year we traded the Dutch guilder (fl.) for our European Euro (€).
Example: The price of an average Mosin Nagant M91/30 in 2000 was about fl. 150.00.
In 2001, when we changed to the Euro, the numbers didn't change, but in stead of fl.150.00 we had to pay € 150.00 for the same rifle.

FYI...fl 150.00 is € 68.50.
That would be a little under $100.00.
€ 150.00 is about $215.00.

Dealers made huge profits over night.

I'm with you when it comes to collecting Robert.
I have never bought a rifle to make a profit.
I bought my rifles and carbines to make my collection as complete as possible and I'm still working on that.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin