My Mosin

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Josh Smith

My Mosin

Post by Josh Smith » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:42 am

Hi All,

I'm hoping this might help some folks.

I apologize in advance for the screw heads; they were taken apart literally hundreds of times. I've since replaced them and found a proper bit for my torque wrench that will not cause damage to the new ones, even over the long-term!

Front view of the prototype that started my business...

... and the rear.

The action is shimmed and the barrel corked:

I also made some cool things like a two-stage Finn M39-style trigger. Instead of pins, it has bearings :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWDitIiapo

You can barely see a couple bearings under the sear.

I'm not going to risk selling it though. Liability. Dangit.

This rifle is capable of this (or rather, I'm capable of doing this, with my 20/55 sight; I'm sure the rifle's much better):

I had to work for that group, but as long as I have a target I can see, I can do about that. I take coyotes at 200 yards. That's about as far as I can see, uncorrected.

I know what these rifles can do and I love to see folks wring them out. Heck, a Finnish M39 had to have at least a 1.3MOA capability to be accepted into service!

Josh
kermit

Re: My Mosin

Post by kermit » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 am

this is exactly how my 1941 Izhevsk is setup. i kept bugging josh for info on how to make my rifle shoot like his. i love it.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:23 am

Why not just sell the blueprint to some company and let them worry about the liability. They make it and sell it and it wouldn't be you anybody would try to take to court I'd think.

The Finn's made a pretty good improved trigger for their factory upgraded Nagants. What's the difference between what they did to the trigger and what you did?
Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19 am

Niner wrote:Why not just sell the blueprint to some company and let them worry about the liability. They make it and sell it and it wouldn't be you anybody would try to take to court I'd think.

The Finn's made a pretty good improved trigger for their factory upgraded Nagants. What's the difference between what they did to the trigger and what you did?
Niner, the Finnish one uses static pins while mine uses needle bearings. Much smoother on mine with no squish in the second stage. I currently have Kermit's M39 trigger for comparison, and it looks like they turned those out quite quickly in time of war.

I have no doubt the Finns would have come to the same design I did, or gone back to the M28's design, had they kept up the development after the war that they had been doing prior to the war.

The M28/76 has probably the best trigger simply because it achieves what I'm after with a minimal amount of fitting, but they just were not produced in the quantity needed for folks today and my biggest concern is fitting one to my Mosin, then being up a creek when it finally breaks.

I'd rather go with one I made from scratch and can repeat.

Josh
Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:20 am

kermit wrote:this is exactly how my 1941 Izhevsk is setup. i kept bugging josh for info on how to make my rifle shoot like his. i love it.
How is it currently shooting for you? Care to post groups? :loco: