Reference Books and Maps.......

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Reference Books and Maps.......

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Like the old saying, "Any ship can be a minesweeper................once." :cool:
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:32 am

Ha!

-ArchFluffy
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:45 am

Recently there has been a special offer at The Naval & Military Press where all books on the sheet were only £4.99 so I bought a few. This one is a facsimile reprint of an instruction manual from 1859 that I thought would be interesting.
FRONT & BACK.jpg
It contains detailed instructions on "Directions for preserving and cleaning the Enfield Rifle Muskets (Pattern 1853)" and "Instructions for the use of Colt's Revolvers" among other things.

It also includes this Memorandum......."Rifles are at all times, when unloaded, to be used with cock down on the nipple, and sentries may be permitted to carry their arms when loaded in the same manner, in order to secure the cap in it's placce; but to abvoid accidents, they are to be carried on all other occasions at half cock after being loaded."

A note in the "Introductions to Musketry" stipulates that;

"The instructor will take care not to correct a man at the moment he is firing, which would produce no other effect than to distract his attention from the object he is aiming at; but will observe attentively the position of each man, and correct him after he has fired"
White ensign.gif
White ensign.gif (2.37 KiB) Viewed 5683 times
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:29 pm

"The instructor will take care not to correct a man at the moment he is firing,
which would produce no other effect than to distract his attention from the object he is aiming at;
but will observe attentively the position of each man, and correct him after he has fired"

It is obvious that my Drill Sergeants in basic training did not read this book..... :lol:
I think they knew that combat is very loud and wanted us to get used to distractions.......
or they just liked yelling at us, not sure which..... :cool:
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:44 am

I suspect the latter Vern :lol: :lol:
I think you have to remember that these rifles were percussion cap Enfields and the time between shots allowed you to have a brew and a chat with your mate on the next firing point :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pattern1853Rifle.jpg
Pattern1853Rifle.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_1853_Enfield
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.