Smokeless Loads for Black Powder Cartridge Rifles

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

dbm
Regular visitor

Smokeless Loads for Black Powder Cartridge Rifles

Post by dbm » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:57 pm

On the various bulletin boards and mailing lists I frequent there are often postings from people seeking smokeless loads for black powder cartridge rifles. Modern repros of rifles such as Sharps and Rolling Blocks are sometimes proofed for nitro powders and it may be possible to develop safe loads for original BP arms using smokeless powder.

I am curious why there is such an apparent demand to shoot smokeless loads in black powder arms. Is it simply the ease cleaning up afterwards or are there other reasons putting people off using black powder?

David
David Minshall - www.researchpress.co.uk
Firearms, long range shooting and associated history
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:32 pm

When I've asked people this at the range and at clubs the two main reasons given are perceived mess and cleaning, and the chew on to get an explosives certificate.

I also think that poor availability of good BP also is an issue. Kranks is usualy the only brand available if at all and it has limited applications especially in BP cartidges.

I also get an underlying feel that some people think that a smokeless load will be more accurate or easier to develop than a BP one.

Personally I don't subscribe to any of these reasons
ImageImage
dbm
Regular visitor

Post by dbm » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:45 pm

I suppose powder availability might be an issue for some. I travel to Warwick to shoot quite regularly and usually pick up powder from a local dealer/importer (see www.black-powder.co.uk) who has a variety of makes and gradings.

Intersting the accuracy question. I wonder how many shoot more accurately with smokeless? It is somewhat artificial though whatever the results were and does not give a view of the contemporary performance and management of the rifle.

The simple solution to avoiding the hassle of cleaning the cartridges cases is of course to shoot muzzle loaders! :)

David
SgtJethro
Contributing Member

Post by SgtJethro » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:54 pm

David,

I have used both in my BP cartidge rifles and I tend to go smokeless most of the time. Cleaning the rifles is not really a big problem. The smell irritates the hell out of the wife, but it is less of a problem than cleaning my muzzle stuffers. On the other hand, the need to thoroughly clean the brass is a pain in the ass. If you do not clean it, the BP residue will eat it away quickly. With straight walled cases, like the 45-70, brass cleaning is not too difficult, but those bottlenecked cartridges are another matter.

Okay, what is my real reason? I am LAZY.

Jethro
dbm
Regular visitor

Post by dbm » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:20 pm

I don't have any problem with BP cleaning smells as my wife shoots both muzzle loaders and breech loaders. Case cleaning isn't usually a problem for Kim as I end up cleaning her .45-70 while I clean my .40-65!!

We usually try and clean rifles on the range, as it is a PITA to clean them when I get home after a long drive.

David
broke collector

smokeless in bpc

Post by broke collector » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:46 am

I agree with dpm, if you want the smoke, smell, and roar of black powder, shoot a muzzle loader. I do and love it. Guess what, no cases to clean. When I shoot my erzatz Sharps 45-70, a little 2400 does well and cleans up well. It is a cop out but the lack of grease cookies, card wads, cow filler appeals to me. I enjoy shooting first and loading second. LAZY...YOU BETCHA. B.C.
POWDER RIVER Let-er buck!
SgtJethro
Contributing Member

Post by SgtJethro » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:27 am

...as my wife shoots both muzzle loaders and breech loaders.
David, now there are the key words why the smell of BP cleaning is not a problem for you. The only thing my wife wants to do with guns is to sell mine. :(

Jethro
dbm
Regular visitor

Post by dbm » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:44 am

Well if your wife does have any nice items for sale, put her in touch with my wife! Probably top of her wanted list would be an original English flintlock rifle, but if there are any bargains going she might be interested.... :lol:

Actually, a friend said a little while ago that his wife asked him if he passed away before her, and she sold his guns for £100 each as he said he paid for them, would she be out of pocket!! :mrgreen:

David