Chatham Docks UK

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Chatham Docks UK

Post by Dave 101 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:41 am

Chatham Royal Naval dockyard in SE England is now a museum which holds various events during the year . Yesterday was a 1940s WWII day with re-enactors from military to civilian plus members of the public who dress in period clothing for the event as I do , its the only time I get to wear a shirt and tie these days .
There were plenty of traders selling milsurps [ no firearms ] and vintage clothing etc but I resisted and kept the wallet closed .

This is the last nuclear submarine to be built at this dockyard in 1980 . we took a tour through it , I never realised how small and cramped it would be , take my hat off to the guys who did sail these vessels .
HMS Ocelot

http://hnsa.org/ships/ocelot.htm

There were many planes trains vintage cars , bikes , military displays , a London County Council Ambulance ,

This vehicle was in service around 1955 when I was born , I served in the London Ambulance service back in the 1980s , I last saw this vehicle [ 1979 ish ] when we had a station open day and it was there as part of our display . I was chatting to the guy in the photo he said the LAS museum had declined due to lack of funding , at least this on is kept going .

One of the dockyard trains

Me and the other half posing in front of an Austin Seven which was a popular family car back in the day

My Grandfather was based at Chatham in WWI when he signed up in 1914 and served for 23 years . So to look at something he had seen and walked where ha had walked a hundred years ago brought a lump to my throat .

Anti aircraft display

Was pleased to get home after being on my feet all day , and have a takeaway Chinese meal .

Dave
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Re: Chatham Docks UK

Post by Dave 101 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:01 am

The big guns of WWI 12" guns being loaded on board ship [ HMS General Crawford . ] bound for Dunkirk from Chatham , I have just scanned these pics from my Grandfathers album , there are several others showing them being offloaded one he wrote on 6 th trip , I wonder how many they took and for what purpose .

Dave